Re: Australian National Results & story

Carol WILLS wrote:

>   I didn't get results
> from any of the other grades, so maybe Roy could supply the B Grade results.

Roy is busy at work so I'll deputise and fill in as much as I can on B Grade!

Brunswick (Victoria) were 1st in B Grade again and this year won each section.
They look certain to be promoted to A grade now.

City of Greater Dandenong (Victoria) - mine & Roy's band - came 2nd for the
second successive year.

Third was City of Ringwood (Victoria).

As for the street march, Ulverstone (Tasmania) came 1st with City of Greater
Dandenong 2nd, by 1 measley point!  I have to mention that Dandenong have always
come last or 2nd last in the street march as far back as I can remember so we
expected to maintain our form, but surprise surprise funny things happen.  I
wasn't marching myself so imagine my shock and horror as with the rest of the
crowd when Dandenong came marching down the street and turned down a side street
and disappeared!!!  Luckily they turned around and headed the right way
eventually.

Now for a story - We (Dandenong) were waiting to get back on our bus after the
street march all hot and sweaty when a woman approached us with a request.  She
asked if we would go and play some brass music in the front lawn of her mother's
house, just down the road in Glenelg.  Apparently her mother was expected to
pass away any day and her only faculty was her hearing.  So we went down there,
formed up in the front yard outside the mother's bedroom, and played our street
march (National Emblem) and an impromptu version of "Oh When the Saints" at the
daughter's request.  Hopefully we made a dying lady's last days a little bit
more pleasurable.

Congratulations to everyone at the Aussie Nationals.  We had a great time and
hope to go to Tassie next year if we can raise the funds.

BYE
Vicki
City of Greater Dandenong

P.S. If anyone wants the exact points of B grade I'll have them Friday morning.