A Short Introduction

Hi folks. Guess its time to stop lurking.
My name's Gareth John and I play Eb Bass with Burry Port (Wales). We've just
been promoted to Championship locally and next year we'll be in Championship
nationally for the first time, after winning this year's Welsh Champs 1st
Section :-). I played in the NYBBW in my younger days and Steve Sykes might
remember me as the "Curry Kid" after a rather aromatic audition the day
after my finals at college.
My brother Ceri has recently joined Dyke on Baritone and I was surprised by
the lack of comment by list members on their refusal to attend the Oscars.
Maybe everyone thought that it was the correct thing to do in the light of
their big charity concert in Bournemouth. It was indeed a very noble choice,
but in the bigger picture, Dyke playing to a worldwide audience of around 1
Billion would surely have brought the public perception of brass bands into
the 21st Century. They might also have attracted the attentions of some
distinguished film composers such as Williams, Sivestri and Horner to name
but a few. They could then have gone back to Bournemouth, the charity
could've put an extra few bob on the admission price to reflect star
quality, and everyone would've been a winner.
A controversial start to my contributions, but I hope it'll trigger a few