Physics vs Desire

I've been reacquainting myself with the joys of the upper Bb register in
recent days.....

I seem to remember when I was a nipper a grizzled old Soprano player
suggesting that one ought to suspend one's cornet from a rafter, make
contact with the instrument by using the lips only, then  try producing
decent notes with the minimal amount of lip pressure which the laws of
physics will allow.  This was supposed to encourage that delicacy of lip
pressure necessary to play the upper register consistently without lip
destruction.

Was he having me on??

Nigel.

(No obscene alternative suggestions please..)