Contesting

-----Original Message-----
From: Alec Gallagher <alec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 April 1999 07:48
Subject: Re: Registration - to be or not to be

Bands improve better through contesting.  I know of bands in my area which
do not
contest, and as such do not improve.  My band has improved greatly since it
started contesting seriously.  Competition creates interest for players and
bands alike.  Without gradings of bands, there would be no incentives to
get better, and would cause huge arguments over who the better bands are.
Plus it would reduce the earning potential of the top conductors.

Colin Harris