Re: Registration - to be or not to be

Alec Gallagher wrote:

> I have an even better idea.  Abolish all contests.  They stifle creativity;
etc
etc
> in short, contests have held brass bands back from the day they were
> invented.

I have to disagree Alec.  Is Blitz an example of stifled creativity?  Some of
the most creative writing for brass band has been as a result of commissions
for test pieces. And that's exactly what they are.  Pieces of music that test
and challenge the members of the band, helping every member (and the conductor)
develop a whole range of techniques and styles.  Once these have been mastered
they can equally be applied to all music.  From my experience this helps in the
preparation of the whole repertoire.  Contesting hasn't held my band back.  On
the contrary, the effort in rehearsing challenging music has been a major
driving force behind our improving standards.  And in my opinion there is no
better way of building a team of people who can play well together and
understand each other than by using a contest and it's test piece as a target.

We try to put the same effort into perfecting all the music we play without the
goal of a contest at the end.  We get a great deal of pleasure from the music,
but human nature isn't that simple.  Knowing that you are going to perform on a
given date in front of a crowd of brass enthusiasts (not just a man in a box)
adds an extra "something" to the preparation of the music which can lead to
outstanding performances.  And it isn't just the man in the box that counts.
Although his verdict determines who gets the trophies, we take pride in our own
performance and we know when we've played well and when we haven't . . . and so
do many of the supporters and rivals in the audience who also pass comment.

As for the instrumentation.  Well, we've done this one before.  I've been
playing for about 30 years now and in that time the instrumentation hasn't
really changed.  A tendency for larger bore instruments with bigger, rounder
sounds . . . bass trombones without handles . . .  but that's about it.  I
remain involved with brass bands because I like what they are and I like the
sound they make.  If you want to fiddle (excuse the pun) with the
instrumentation then go ahead.  Add/remove whatever you like, but don't spoil
my fun . . . . don't call it a brass band because it ain't!

Don Cooper,
Glossop Old Band.