Re: Contests Utterly Futile?? (was: Registration - to be or not to be)

-----Original Message-----
From: Clair Tomalin <c.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 April 1999 07:52
Subject: Contests Utterly Futile?? (was: Registration - to be or not to be)

Dear Claire

Thanks for your response.  It's too long to respond to every point, except
to say that most of it is fair comment, but I'll just pick up on one or two
points and let others have a go on the others.

>>They stifle creativity;
>Not for the composers - it's an opening for new works to be commissioned...

But wouldn't they have done that anyway?  I think so.  Other musical groups
seem to have developed a repertoire without a heavy reliance on contests.

>...don't ignore the fact that with new moves to improve the effectiveness
>of adjudication - having multiple adjudicators...steps are being taken to
reach level >ground in this complex issue.

As long as Geoff Brand or Bram Gay isn't involved, presumably!

>Likewise, if the public who wave the 'respectability and credibility wand'
>don't attend the contests (as you state that they aren't attended by anyone
>outside or directly/closely linked with brass bands), how can the contests
>hinder the bands in their eyes - what the eye doesn't see the heart won't
>grieve over, so surely contests that aren't seen by 'outsiders' can have
>absolutely no impact on them!

The BBC could be described as an outsider.  Over recent years something has
persuaded Auntie that brass bands are not worth broadcasting. In recent
times Bandstand has gone, the BBC Festival of Brass intended to replace it
has gone, the broadcast of the winning performance and short concert at the
British Open has gone, and Listen to the Band has been shortened.  I'm only
guessing, but they seem to think that bands are not relevant or of interest
to the general public.  The question is, why?  If we could establish that,
we could be on to a winner.

 >Competiveness is an inbuilt characteristic of the human race, so why
should brass >bands be excluded.

No reason at all - I just wish it were kept more in proportion.  As a social
occasion, though, I agree with you - it's a good day out.

Alec