Re: A Short Introduction

At 09:24 07/04/99 +0100, you wrote:
>My brother Ceri has recently joined Dyke on Baritone and I was surprised by
>the lack of comment by list members on their refusal to attend the Oscars.
>Maybe everyone thought that it was the correct thing to do in the light of
>[...]
>but a few. They could then have gone back to Bournemouth, the charity
>could've put an extra few bob on the admission price to reflect star
>quality, and everyone would've been a winner.
I too was very curious about this - I had not heard that it was a big
charity event. But, as you say, how big could it have been? It's not every
day you get asked to appear on something which will be watched by 1 billion
people; even if it is the Oscars ceremony.

Without knowing any more about the story, I would have to think that they
were absolutely mad to pass up the opportunity. But then again, would they
have been playing on their own and for long, and why didn't they just get
ask another brass band to appear instead, such as Grimethorpe from "Brassed
Off"?

Trevor Johnston
Drogheda Brass Band
http://www.socc.ie/brass