Re: Contests Utterly Futile?? (was: Registration - to be or not to be)

Dear Alec,

Alec Gallagher wrote:
AG:> >>They stifle creativity;
CT:> >Not for the composers - it's an opening for new works to be
commissioned...
AG:> But wouldn't they have done that anyway?  I think so.  Other musical
groups
> seem to have developed a repertoire without a heavy reliance on contests.

I can't agree with this.  Perhaps the pieces may well have been written
anyway, but the likelihood of them being played and considered as useable
pieces would have been restricted to the strength of the sales pitch.  By
having a commissioned contest piece that every band has to play, it enables
it to be fully explored.  There have been plenty of times when the first
couple of runs through of a new piece have left a band stoney faced and
grimacing ... but after a few more attempts, because they have to, suddenly
appreciation starts to prevail.  There have been plenty of test pieces that
may not have seen the light of day after the first attempt if they had
simply been written without the exposure of a contest.

CT:> >...don't ignore the fact that with new moves to improve the
effectiveness
> >of adjudication - having multiple adjudicators...steps are being taken
> reach level >ground in this complex issue.
AG:> As long as Geoff Brand or Bram Gay isn't involved, presumably!

As far as Geoff Brand was concerned at the All England Masters, don't
forget he also made lots of new friends with some of the results he
devised!! :-))

CT:> >Likewise, if the public who wave the 'respectability and credibility
wand'
> >don't attend the contests how can the contests
> >hinder the bands in their eyes >
AG:> The BBC could be described as an outsider.  Over recent years
something has
> persuaded Auntie that brass bands are not worth broadcasting. The
question is, why?  If we could establish that,
> we could be on to a winner.

I agree, but your example of the lack of BBC exposure of brass bands is a
different subject - it has nothing to do with the fact that brass bands
compete.

CT:>  >Competiveness is an inbuilt characteristic of the human race, so why
> should brass bands be excluded.
AG:> No reason at all - I just wish it were kept more in proportion.
>As a social occasion, though, I agree with you - it's a good day out.

Now I'm really confused - you now agree that there's no reason that brass
bands should stop competing, and you acknowledge that contests can be 'a
good day out' - so does this mean you rethought your proposal that all
contests should be abolished?? How do you define 'in proportion' ?

AG:>I'll just pick up on one or two
>points and let others have a go on the others

I think the focus is most probably the other way round - by the looks of
other responses from the list, its your points that others are picking up
on, not mine!! :-))

Thanks for stoking the fire a bit on the list, it's been nice to get on a
soap-box again!

CLAIR TOMALIN
Flugel
Clacton-on-Sea Co-Operative Band