Re: Arthur Pryor - Trombone Solo's

Some correct info, some not about Pryor.

Yes he was Sousa's soloist then formed his own band based at Asbury Pary
New Jersey. The bandshell on the beach is named The Arthur Pryor Band
Shell. I had the pleasure of soloing in it many years ago.

Blue Bells is in fact played regularly by virtually all young trombone
players in North America and many in the UK. Ian Bousfield has done it
and other UK players - it is the set piece for one of the ITF
competitions which a UK player won in 1997. Virtually every serious high
school player in the USA will play this often for college auditions. It
is definitely a trombone solo.

Pryor wrote many, usually fairly similar in style to feature his amazing
technique and both his high and low range. We are accompanying Al Kay
-lead trombone in the Boss Brass- tonight as he plays Air Varie, another
popular Pryor solo.

Regards.

Dave.