Re: Registration - to be or not to be

I agree with Carol on the value of competition among brass bands.  It can be
and has been a wonderful incentive for bands to improve their abilities and
to proudly show them off.  What I DON'T really care for is the competitions
among school marching bands we subject our school kids to here in the
"colonies.  To spend nine or ten weeks learning three or four tunes and some
manuvers to go with them is not my idea of the purpose of music education.
This is a debate that has gone on, and will continue to haunt us forever.
What are school bands like in the UK or Australia.  Is instrumental music
even taught in the schools, or is it an outside the curriculum activity?
Clint Miller
Band Director, Orchard Mesa Middle School
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA
GWRMBB, Solo Tenor