3/5 full, but full of quality

YBS at the Fairfield Hall, Croydon this evening, were marvellous.
Phillip McCann stepped in when David James fell ill, but he must have
had as good a time as anybody. He swayed with the band as they
gloriously glided through the programme and always with the level of
skill which is simply beyond most bands. In the second half he donned a
green jacket which I think showed his approval and I can't help but
think that he and Dave King may have a similar mindset - at times,
perhaps it goes back to the Dyke days.
The audience (all 60%) enjoyed the Horn/Bari duet (written for Dyke's
Japan tour) and Mark Freeh's Ole Man River was rousing. Any
disappointment as such, could be that with Brighton holding a contest
next weekend with several hundred players, that more weren't there
tonight. After all the odd saturday night out surely isn't a crime and
Croydon is hardly a backwater? YBS were significantly better than any
band will be next sunday, (no disrespect to the bands), perhaps more
players should indulge in these 'local' top class concerts.