Re: Arthur Pryor - Trombone Solo's

David W. Buckley wrote:

> Some correct info, some not about Pryor.
>
> Yes he was Sousa's soloist

I was intrigued by this posting regarding incorrect info with regard to Arthur Pryor.
Many years ago I obtained a copy of Blue Bells Of Scotland, I can't remember from
whom, but I was confident that the copy I have was listed as a cornet solo, and
therefore when I wrote in my earlier posting that what "....I think of as a cornet
solo" was an apt and accurate description.  I spent the morning foraging around the
dusty suitcases in my attic and, apart from finding some other useful items for future
discussion, came across the soloists part.  Indeed I was delighted to see that it is
described as a cornet solo.  The other items I found were two more trombone solos by
Arthur Pryor entitled Thoughts Of Love and The Little Chief.  However, the question
was cleared up when I noticed that not only Blue Bells - but Loves Enchantment, La
Petite Suzanne, The Tip Topper and Thoughts Of Love were all released as Trombone OR
Cornet solos.  So - my "info" wasn't really incorrect was it?  (The other solos
advertised were: Fantastic Polka, Starlight, of which I have the soloist part but no
piano reduction, The Patriot and The Supervisor).

> Blue Bells is in fact played regularly by virtually all young trombone
> players in North America and many in the UK. Ian Bousfield has done it
> and other UK players

I remember Ian as a brilliant player who played 1st. trom. with Yorkshire Imps. many
years ago.  We actually sat next to each other during a Massed Band concert at Kings
Hall, Belle Vue, Manchester many years ago.  If you are using Blue Bells as a test
piece for examination purposes I'd like to hear in time how many chose to play it -
and/or how many actually got through it unscathed.  I was practicing it this afternoon
- It's as hard now as it was years ago!

>  It is definitely a trombone solo.

>  We are accompanying Al Kay -lead trombone in the Boss Brass- tonight as he plays
> Air Varie, another
> popular Pryor solo.

Again I am intrigued - you are the second list member to mention Pryor's Air Varie - a
solo that I have never played and I would like to get hold of a copy if possible.  Can
you assist?These other solos are not available over here anymore - do you know of and
shop or publisher that they can be purchased from nowadays.  Some of them may appear
to be a bit samey, but they are so good for concert work.

Nice to make your acquaintance David, what band/outfit do you play for?

Many thanks,

Colin Randle.

By the way - I take it a Shell is what we regard as a bandstand.