High Notes!

Piet Durk Meyer wrote:

> Hey Colin,
>
> I agree with you that high notes are not at all a problem for t-bone players.
>
> Did you know that at this year's first European Solo-championships, Blue Bell's is
> one of the pieces that the trombonist's have to play. It is a very nice but difficult
> solo to play. I wonder if the trombone players can play this piece well in Munich.
>
> PS: Do you have hints to play high notes more easily?
>
> Greetings,
> Piet Durk Meyer
> 2nd Trombone
> Brassband DE Bazuin Oenkerk (Holland)

Hi there Piet, nice to make your acquaintance - well - I though my off the cuff one-liner
might bring a few responses, and it has.  I had to give it some giggle when I read the
posting from Richard from Reddish and Gorton Band - Hi there Rich - nice to meet you.
However the most succinct answer to your question Piet is to take note of the posting
from Bruce Jones - obviously a far more technical and academic response than I can give
you.  When I read it I thought to myself - "...So that's what I've been doing all these
years".  For those that missed it he says, in response to Piet's request for handy hints
to high note playing, "Support from the diaphragm and plenty of air".  Exactly.

To be honest, I really never had a problem slithering around in the higher reaches of the
trombone's range, I never had to think about it, it was my preferred style and I still
enjoy it.  To generalise, for some people it just seems to come naturally, just like an
inbuilt ability at musical gymnastics that are required to play Blue Bells for instance.

If I had to put it in layman's terms - I would say that the least amount of pressure you
can get away with on the mouthpiece will allow your embouchure to control the flow of air
through the instrument - if you're pressing that hard that your muscles collapse the air
will stop and therefore so will the sound.  Don't worry about it - I bet you can play
Blue Bells easy - dazzle 'em with your technique!!!

All the best ,

Colin.