Re: Contests Utterly Futile?? (

Finally have time to jump in to this ongoing discussion.

There is no question whatsoever that contests have been the driving
force in the UK in the stimulation of an absolutely stunning escalation
in the technical ability of brass players. This happened long before the
relatively recent escalation in the number of students in formal music
training. I spent some time over the weekend with Don Harry, tuba
instructor at Eastman and he marvelled at the technical dexterity of the
championship brass bands. As he said, the kid as he or she grew up heard
dad play and did it themselves. These technical standards have pretty
much now become the world standard and a requirement of any pro player.

However all this dexterity does not really seem to have resulted in much
if any growth in audience or much if any significant music. David
Lancaster and I have had discussions on this but I just never hear a
brass band piece except at a band concert and the appeal of almost all
test pieces is about zilch to any but the dedicated brass band bug.

It seems we have a nice insular world where we can feel truly superior
without actually testing our world in a broader context. Not necessarily
bad, just pretty limiting.

We probably need more brass band composers who write the pieces, hire
the band, pay the hall and then make a living based on whether or not
anybody wants to hear their music. Think this is the way to commercial
pablum? Well it worked pretty well for Mozart and Beethoven.

Regards to all band members. Its great fun, but as Peggy Lee said "Is
that all there is???"

Dave Buckley.