Re: Flugelhorn - what should it sound like etc.

>From a less-than-expert viewpoint, it seems to be a combination of
technique, equipment and preference. I prefer the darkness of a very deep
mouthpiece (Wick 4FL) and red brass bell (Yamaha 631), but there is a
penalty in ease of articulation and high notes. IMHO if you use a trumpet
mouthpiece you might as well play a trumpet, but I look forward to hearing
the views of more experienced players - and if this list is anything to go
by, flugel players usually seem to have opinions!

Bob Knight
Flugel, Blewbury and District Brass Band