Re: Contests Utterly Futile?? - from a percussionist's point of view.

Date sent:      Sun, 11 Apr 1999 07:15:55 +0800

From:	   Peter Younghusband <<monkey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To:	     brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject:	Re: Contests Utterly Futile?? - from a percussionist's point of view.

Send reply to:  brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > However I would like to comment on the recent Aussie Nationals. On the negative

> > side I was disappointed with the adjucator's comments.  They

> > were hand written crit sheets - not the tape - and they were extremely

> > generalised and cliched (IMHO).  Percussion never got ONE mention at all.

> > Nothing, zilch, zero.

> Depends how you react I suppose. I would say no comment means you didn't do anything

> wrong!! Remember he is looking to knock marks off, not put them on!!

<bold>Ok, I agree with that,

but my experience is that the most comments don't say anything about
percussion. Except that it's too loud, but we're always too loud, so they
don't have to mention that...

OMHO, Adjucators could give (much) more attention to the percussion
section; they are also a important part of the band.

In the Netherlands there is also a discussion about comments of
adjucators. It's about that adjucators sometimes only say that the band
can't play the piece.

Do adjucators give enough comments??

(Sorry, for my bold letters, but I couldn't get them black!)

Rinze Anne van der Sluis

percussionist de BAzuin Oenkerk

The Netherlands

<nofill>