Re: Rococo Variations (Allan Street)

Robert wrote:

> Questions: Was Rococo Variations ever set as a test piece in Britain? If
> so, when and for what section? What Tchaikovsky piece provides the
> Theme? Is the piece suitable for good D-grade, or are there any other
> suggestions?

I seem to remember that Street used the theme from 'Variations on a
Rococco Theme' (cello and orchestra) by Tchaikovsky and that his work
was used as a UK regional qualifying piece for the Third Section in
the late 70's and Second Section in the early/mid 90's, a rare
example of a piece becoming harder with the passing of time!

It calls for brave soloists.  I found it less than wholly satisfying
- the variations are quite short leaving the piece somewhat episodic
and under-developed.  There must be lots of better pieces around
nowadays.  Try Phil Wilby's Partita, published by Rosehill.

David