Re: [FWD: Alec Gallagher

Now, now boys, we'll be having hand bag fights at thirty paces
next...............IMHO I have to say that I am not a real fan of contests
either. You work your sphericals off for a couple of weeks, often on a piece
that is not particularly enjpyable only to be judged by one man's (OK -
sometimes 3) opinion. 500 people in the audience might all agree on one band,
but if the man that matters disagrees, well..........say no more. I never
really enjoyed playing in contests. I enjoyed even less going to band every
night for a week playing something I didn't enjoy. There were a few of course
in 12 years that were exception to that.

However, despite what I think about the merits of contests, it has to be said
that they do keep your standards up and until somebody thinks of a better idea,
I suppose we have to keep going along with it.

Good on Biggs and Franklin though - Cambridge is the sure leader in change. 3
seperate pillaks (oops) I mean judges, bands choose the piece, pre draw
etc...... that sure has to be the way to go.

Monkey

PS - if you're wondering why the hell I stayed in banding - it was for the good
concerts!!!