Re: test pieces

During the last two years the East Anglian Brass Band Association has
commissioned four Youth Band test pieces. For very young players we
commissioned  in 1998,'The Flintknappers' ,from the pen of Stuart Johnson
and this year 'Anglian Dances' by Alan Fernie. 'The Flintknapppers' is not
published but Stuart Johnson should be able to help you, if not please
e.mail me privately. 'Anglian Dances' is available from Kirklees. For the
more advanced youth band we commissioned 'Three East Anglian Watercolours'
by Bill Relton and 'St. Andrew's Variations' by Alan Fernie. Both of those
are available from Kirklees Music. Two other pieces that we have
commissioned and are of the same standard of difficulty as Indian Summer are
'Hereward, the Wake' by Bill Relton and published by Kirklees Music and 'A
Dunwich Sinfonietta' by Roy Newsome. The latter will be published by Obrasso
but I'm not sure if it is ready yet.

Another suitable piece for young bands is 'Cathedral Suite' by Stuart
Johnson, published by R.Smith & Co.

We do realise how difficult it is to acquire suitable music for young bands,
hence we decided to commission the four works mentioned. I can recommend
them all, and I'm sure that your young people would enjoy playing them.

Brian Hastings
President/Chairman