Dyke & The Oscars, fact or fiction?

This does seem to be a great story. The only problem is I have a buddy
that went through high school with me and now works in the studio
business in Hollywood and has close ties with the Oscar ceremony. It
would appear that no one out there has any idea where this story came
from. Can anybody shed any light on the validity of this tale?