Re: [Re: Re:Arthur Pryor - Trombone Solos] and diaphragms

Henry Howey <MUS_HEH@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Piet Durk Meyer writes::: PS: Do you have hints to play high notes more

easily?

> Bruce Jones  answers: Support from the diaphragm and plenty of air.  Th
> smiling method is flawed.
>

> So is diaphragm "support."  I suppose basic physiology classes are held
 in
> the UK;-)

>>> It would seem that you have advanced classes in being patronising in
the
US

> Muscles work in only one direction.  The diaphragm works only on
> INhalation.  After that, it's principally the stretched thorax returnin
g to
> a relaxed state that does the work of blowing.

>>> True up to a point, however expiration against a resistance (such as
brass instrument) involves the accessory muscles of ventilation, primaril
those of the abdominal wall, which help to push up the diaphragm. This
sensation of involvment of the muscles of the back and abdominal wall whe
blowing is what brass players refer to as "support from the diaphragm" fo
r the
the column of air bound for instrument. We know what we mean.

This terminology has the added advantage that it gives brass players the
perfect excuse to "develop" their "diaphragms" by means of a rigorous tra
ining
programme in pubs and curry houses.