Re: Rococo Variations (Allan Street)

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Robert Lynch wrote:

> Dear List,
> While hunting through my band's library, I came across this piece. I
> hope to try it at a regional competition in September. The band is at
> the higher end of D grade / 4th Section. Last year we managed a quite
> convincing performance of Himemoa (Gareth Wood).
> Questions: Was Rococo Variations ever set as a test piece in Britain? If
> so, when and for what section? What Tchaikovsky piece provides the
> Theme? Is the piece suitable for good D-grade, or are there any other
> suggestions?

It was the 2nd section area piece in Britain in 1995 (Wantage came 3rd
and got promoted) , but was originally set for the top section I think in
about 1960. Coincidentally this piece was on the radio in the original
(Tchaikovsky) form just before I went out earlier today. The original
title is also Rococo variations-I'm not sure why, there's nothing
especially rococo about it. It goes on for much longer-it's a cello
solo in the original surprisingly, although it did say that they were two
(original) versions, and that the one that they played was the 2nd
version. I think Allan Street's version actually has different
variations-I was listening out for several of them, and they never came!
So it may be that this is an original brass band work.
ordinary 4th section band-I'd be especially worried about the long euph
solo-how many 4th section players can manage a convincingly lyrical top D?
Not many, judging by the wholesale avoidance of the optional one in Solemn
Melody last year at the areas. I am reliably informed that I was the only
one at the Midland areas to play it (Nyah!), and I have higher section
experience. Many bands even put the euph solo (up to top B) onto solo
horn. So, unless you have a really misgraded band there, I would doubt
that it would work. However, I'd love to be proved wrong:)

Dave Taylor
University of Warwick band
Rolls-Royce (Coventry) band