Re: Moving around in banding - was Re: Black Dyke Rumours

Eddy!

You mention a female sop player from Rothwell. Has she joined Black Dyke?
If so I wish her luck. She is a friend of mine from the NYBB and
Huddersfield Uni. She is a great sop player with a beautiful sound.

Just another point. I am all in favour of women playing in a band like
Dyke. Its about time it happened. However, I would hate to be invited to a
band just because I was female. I would want to be in a band beacuse I was
the best person for the job. I hope this is what has happened at Dyke and
not just to gain a lottery grant.

As a player brought up in Yorkshire Dyke along with several bands has been
a band to look up to and somewhere to aim for. However I would not be happy
playing for a band if I got the job beacuse I was female. I would want to
get the job knowing I had out played everyone else.

What happens if Dyke don't get the lottery grant? Would Dyke have accepted
women if it wasn't for applying for a lottery grant?

Sam Harrison