Re: Changing from Bb-cornet to Eb-cornet

Whilst I agree with previous opinions from various contributors that
"there are many mouthpieces good for the purpose" and "it is all down
to the individual",  the mouthpiece can be altered to assist players
to attain specifics.

If you wish to continue with a similar feel on your mouth to the
McCann mouthpiece but would like to ease upper register then altering
cup depth/volume and the tapers through the backbore and size/shape
of the throat of the mouthpiece may be useful.

Stomvi make a mouthpiece system which allows you to change all
component parts.

I would recommend you to try a no.1 system with a number 2 (closed)
backbore and a P (flat) rim (similar to the McCann).  The set comes
with 7 different cup depths.  The no.2 backbore has a smaller Ventura
and slower taper which will increase the speed of the air column
travelling through the mouthpiece therfore making upper register
easier.
Experiment with the interchangeable cups to find the one that
gives you the best compromise between breadth of sound and ease of
playing.  If you want to have a bright sound then request a
lightweight backbore from your dealer to try,  and vice-versa for a
fuller sound.  For more information contact me directly.

Warburton also produce a component mouthpiece parts and a range of
interchangeable backbores.

Regards

>From: Trond Otto Berg <trober@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Changing from Bb-cornet to Eb-cornet
>Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:49:36 +0200
>
>I have just signed on for a soprano chair in a Norwegian band.  I am
now
>playing Bb cornet.  I have a litle trouble finding the right
mouthpiece
>for the soprano.  On my regular cornet i use a Lewington-McCann mp.
>
>I have two questions for you:
>
>#1    What is the most used mp for sopranoplayers  ?  (my soprano is
>Schilke)
>#2    Is there a mp wich has the same wide rim as the Lewington-
McCann,
>but a cup suitable for the soprano playing?
>
>--
>  Trond  Otto Berg
>  Principal,  Stranda Music School, Norway
>  Principal, Oerskog Brass http://www.obrass.home.ml.org
>

>--
>njh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx For information about this list, including
how to