money in banding

Some interesting observations that come out of the dyke stories that have
appeared here: (I'd be interested to know answers beyond the dyke situation)

1) If "rank and file" players get 20 a job, what to the real stars get?

2) Do players in top bands get paid for attending contests as well?

3) What sort of percentage of sponsorship money is used for things other
than player/conductor payments?

4) for those bands that have a significant MU membership, are union rates
paid for gigs?

Whilst those who benefit from playing in bands that offer such inducements
may well be thinking: "this is none of his business", it becomes the
business of bandsmen at large when we are asked to support bands who have
lost sponsorship or feel sorry for them when they are unable to attend a
contest due to lack of sponsorship money.

There are hundreds of bands out here who do not have large sponsorship deals
or very small ones - for example, my band's sponsorship is very small but
when we lost it last time around, did we fold? No. And the reason was
because we don't rely on money to pay players. Also, should it be needed,
the current conductor would cease to receive payment if the band couldn't
afford it.

As for the lottery and equal opportunities, surely bands applying for grants
read the information they are given which includes reference to such things.
It's no use complaining after the event!

Andy Wooler
http://www.awooler.demon.co.uk
andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you have ICQ my ICQ# is 17709362
If you don't have ICQ you can page me through:
* My Personal Communication Center: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/17709362 (go
there and try it!)