Re: Women in brass bands

>3.  I wonder if in the past years that if a woman has tried to join these
>"male only" bands and been knocked back, even if she was of equal ability,
>whether she would have recourse to Equal Opportunity - as I really shudder
>to think what would happen over here in the courts if the same was to occur
>in Australia.

Sadly there is unlikely to be a formal legal remedy for such a woman in this
predicament in Australia Carol.  Although most States have
Anti-Discrimination legislation - I doubt if denial of membership in a Brass
Band, on the grounds that the applicant was a woman, would be actionable.
In Qld, it is prohibited for a "club" to discriminate on the grounds of
gender.  Club is defined as a body which ) is established for "social,
literary, cultural, political, sporting, athletic, recreational, community
service or any other similar lawful purposes" - any number of which could
apply to a band.  The clubs covered, however, are those which carry out
their  activities for the purpose of making a profit.

Discrimination has a habit of working much more effectively on a personal
level though.  You would think that if some men really didn't want women in
their band they would simply react to their presence by making them feel
unwelcome - and presumably people wont stay where they feel disliked and
unwelcome. Whether that happens in practice remains to be seen - but if it
does, who will it tell you most about?

Nigel.