Re: Women in brass bands

Carol WILLS wrote:

> 1.  Out of these bands that do not accept women, would it be in their
> constitution that women are not accepted?  Or is it just a "understood rule"
> in the brass band world over there that they are not welcome and not even
> given a chance?

Dunno - perhaps somebody else could help on that one. All I know is that all
this constitution business for whatever organisation is much bigger in Oz than
England.

> 2.  I would presume that a woman would have to undergo the same auditions as
> any male joining these top bands, so if she was the better person for the
> job, would it be just her sex excluding her from being able to join?

Well for the VERY FEW bands that don't allow women in - she wouldn't get an
audition in the first place.

> 3.  I wonder if in the past years that if a woman has tried to join these
> "male only" bands and been knocked back, even if she was of equal ability,
> whether she would have recourse to Equal Opportunity - as I really shudder
> to think what would happen over here in the courts if the same was to occur
> in Australia.

Dunno.

> 4.  Trying to see both sides of the coin here - because it seems that it's
> the top bands such as Black Dyke, Grimethorpe, etc. which I understand have
> been male only for so long - I wonder if it is because of the fact that
> there are only males in the band that allows them to dominate the brass band
> world over there?  I don't know, perhaps the fellows wouldn't be able to
> concentrate or something if there was a woman sitting alongside?

Well you might be joking Carol - but actually that could be part of the
problem.......

> 5.  I'd actually be interested to know which of the well known bands have
> restrictions on women joining?

Grimey
Brighouse
Faireys
Leyland

I think.

> It's high time all the male only bands in the world moved into the current
> decade and stopped living with the dinosaurs.  Just think of all the
> talented players you have missed out on by not letting women in.

Well they seem to have manged OK so far - how many titles can those four boast
between them? (Don't forget that you could include Dyke too until just recently)

> And yes I will be doing my editorial for my newsletter now.  This has really
> stirred up my interest in doing it again.  Once I finish it, I'll post it
> for you to read.

Sounds good

Monkey