Women in Brass Bands

I heard Black Dyke at Brentwood, Essex a couple of months ago and they had a
guest female player on Rep - a certain Miss Childs.  Bob Childs conducted
that evening as James Watson was out of the country.  Looks like a healthy
precedent was set that evening!  Thanks Bob for your posting and I trust now
that the issue and the potentially libellous accusations in relation to
Black Dyke can now be put to rest.

To prevent women from playing in brass bands is a very Victorian attitude
and  some SA bands have been guilty of supporting this over the years.
Thank goodness the likes of ISB and Enfield now allow female players.

I am sure that European sex discrimination legislation would fully support
an end to this practice as it has in many golf clubs now where the position
has been challenged.

Keith Rowland