Re: Australian National Results

Well Bruce having just got home after the Nationals and read the mail (or lack
of it) on the contest I will add my dollars worth ,I'm not known as a" lurker"
and I was surprised by your criticisim of the lack of comment about your brother
and Hawthorns win.  Could it be that having heard the performance by Hawthorn of
the test people were gob smacked by the marks given to a performance that had so
many points to detract from it. Starting at the horn entry cornet coherency in
the very fast first var.letr B, Wrong finger by the top cornet in his solo,diff
in style shown within the troms at I etc. Now this does not say that they
were'nt the best of the    bunch but don't expect people to throw praise about a
decision they might not have agreed with.Whoever wins a contest, they are the
only band that are happy.Why talk about an unknown "Salvo boy" Whats so
special?  Barrie Gott, Howard Taylor and myself were unknown in contest
circles,now we all conduct the top bands in our states and country  also look at
the stats for the last five years and you will see that Willoughby and not
Hawthorn have been the most consistent performing band in the country.

 On a different note but still about the contest. When are the administrators
going to get their act together, once again we had an abuse of the rules
relating to the March on stage, if a conductor doesn't know the difference
between a contest march or one designated as a quickstep then the organising
commitee should. A Salvation Army Festival March would not fit either critertia.
I lodged a protest about this before the results were announced so that the
other bands could not say "sour grapes" As I knew it would be the protest was
dismissed because the march had been accepted by the music panel. This is the
third time since 1995 Nats that this has happened and on two of those occasions
my band were badly disadvantaged by this ERROR OF INTERPRETATION.

You people in England should think youselves lucky that you have organisers that
stand by the written word as unpalatable as that seems at the time.We are an
unsponsored band and our trip to the Nationals cost at least $16000 not counting
the money spent on" refreshments".

Our thanks to Monkey for carrying our banner ,but in case you think he's
changed, hanging from his belt was his mobile phone and I'm sure the local
watering holes were on speed dial in case he was overcome by the exercise and
needed a quick pint or two!!!!!!!

Ron Grice
Waratah Brass