Re: Women in brass bands

This discussion on women in bands is like a blast from the (very
distant) past. When I first started playing in about 1969, I was the
first girl in my band. The way I got to join was a little devious: my
mum was the boss of the Sunday School (we're talking an SA junior band
here) and after I'd nagged her for months she told me she'd persuaded
the band leader to let me join. In retrospect, I think she did no such
thing - she just knew that he was such a nice chap he wouldn't have
the heart to turn away an enthusiastic, excited 13-year-old who showed
up at practice thanking him a thousand times for finally letting her
learn the cornet.

I was only given two reasons why I couldn't join: (1) You can't play
in the band because you're a girl. But why? Because girls can't play
in bands. (2) The wives wouldn't like it.

Neither of these involving men, note.

So, Monkey (and your ilk), why do you not want women to play in your
band?  It surely can't just be because you feel you have to tone down
the jokes when there are "ladies present".

Gillian - wondering when on earth this subject will finally cease to
exist