Wonderful Women - Black Dyke.

After a lull on the list just lately it's nice to see another vigorous
debate once again gaining momentum.  Strangely enough, I never thought
it would involve what is obviously the highly emotive subject of women
in banding.  When I started out in banding it's true there were hardly
any women in brass bands - I suspect that this was because they didn't
want to join as it may have been seen at that time to be an un-womanly
activity to be involved in.  Women brass players are now of a standard
that they can force admission to a good band on talent alone.  That is
if good bands want to allow them in in the first place - and it seems
that a few  good bands still do not want to allow them in.  My view is
that women should certainly be allowed to play in our best bands so long
as they are good enough and they are not admitted as a token gesture
whereby a male player is booted out to comply with a lottery request.

Many years ago Coventry band appeared to be the trailblazers in allowing
women into banding when Sheila Lucas arrived as second "Man" down!!!
Sheila was quickly followed by Elizabeth Hayes another great cornet
player who I think eventually turned pro.  They didn't get in because
they were women - the fact was they were both miles better than the
blokes who applied!!  (I wonder if James Watson remembers sitting on the
front row cornet section of the Leicester Youth Band.  Next to James sat
Nigel Bodice and next to him was Elizabeth).

However - prejudice did come - and from an unlikely source.  Coventry
Band were involved heavily at the time with Harry Mortimer and his
famous - some might say infamous - Men 'O Brass concerts.  I remember
vividly the Look on Harry's chops when we turned up for out next concert
with him and he spotted the ladies - aghast he retorted after the
rehearsal - ".....but how can I call it MEN 'O Brass Now"!!!!

Prejudice against women in banding, I have come to the conclusion, can
only be male chauvinism, the argument about standards just does not hold
water and I say this in the light of the fact that I have just read on
another posting that YBS have just won the Eurpoean with the fairer sex
in their midst!  (Wouldn't it be intriguing if a bunch of women set up a
female only brass band and started winning major contests).

On the Black Dyke front - I have never met  Robert Childs personally,
although we did contest against each other around 1975 - 76ish. at the
Oxford Solo Championships, (remember Robert?)  He like me won through to
the final round but we were both beaten by a then little known cornet
player called Kevin Dye who not long after played with Desford with
great distinction.  When I joined this list I was delighted to see
Robert as an occasional contributor.  However, in the light of all the
rumour/gossip surrounding Dyke at the moment - if I'd have been his
personal advisor I would have advised him to adopt the Royal Protocol,
"Never complain - never explain".  I know Robert's recent response
wasn't  a complaint but it seems as if the Tabloid Journo's on this list
have been goading and pressurising him for a response as though he has
something to answer for.  (How many other bands of whatever stature
would you expect to wash their dirty linen in public?  However - now he
has made a response it seems to have thrown up a couple of more
questions - that are also nothing to do with us - but which we would
also like to know.  He says that all players get the same expenses - and
that the two players he mentions that were sacked/left/asked to leave
were on the same concert fee.  Are all players at Dyke on retainers and
do they all get the same dosh for contests?  Personal experience tells
me that the "Filthy Lucre" only causes trouble in brass banding.  Unless
everybody in the band gets the same - trouble will ensue.  No doubt that
a band of the stature of Dyke will quickly fill all empty chairs - at
least I hope so - I've had tickets for their upcoming concert in my home
town of Bedworth for weeks which I'm greatly looking forward to.  Maybe
James Watson will relive his younger days and tell the audience of his
connection with Bedworth Town Brass Band and of the time many years ago
when he was principal cornet of Bedworth when he won the title of Solo
Champion Of Great Britain - possibly the youngest ever winner!

Colin Randle.

P.S.   If ever I play in a band dominated by women - I want to sit on
the same section as Lisa, Clair and Jud.  They can be my minders!!!