Women in brass bands, my opinion!

I just returned from our NABBA convention which was held in the Chicago
area of the USA.  IN MY OPINION, many of the most outstanding musicians
there were women!  I feel that my opinion is worth something, in as much
as I played with three major symphony orchestras here in the United
States, under some of the finest musical directors who have ever lived,
for around 34 years.

Getting back to Chicago.  In my opinion one of the most outstanding
MUSICIANS that was in attendance was the women soprano player for one of
the "lower" section bands, lower only by the fact that they were formed
only a year or so ago and probably didn't know where they should
compete.  The Saint Louis Brass Band so overwhelmed their competition in
their section that they should immediately step up to our Championship
section.  Their performance, for me, was highlighted by the best soprano
playing of the day. Don't get me wrong, there were other great soprano
players there, it's just that this women stood out for me.  At the
opening concert of the Illinois Brass Band, our national winners for the
last three years, the band was very strongly lead by a women solo cornet
player, and you guessed it, the second chair was occupied by a women.
This is the winning band we had in the USA for three years, they
couldn't compete this year because the rules wouldn't allow it.  The
winning 1st section band below the Championship section was conducted by
a women. In my opinion another women that stood out was the solo cornet
player for the Prairie Brass Band.

Be realistic about this thread of thought.  This is a highly
inflammatory, ridiculous, chauvinistic way to think and has it's place
in the dark ages.  Wake up and realize what millenium we are about to
enter and get out of the 19th century before you are met by the 21st
century!!

Ralph P. Hotz
Solo Horn, Salt River Brass, Renaissance Brass, Phoenix Arizona Retired
from the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra after 28 years playing horn.
The last 12 years or so sitting next to one of the finest, you guessed
it!, women horn players and proudly a member of an orchestra that is
made up of many, many fine women wind and string players.