RE: Any `old` Bands out there ?

>Andy Moore  wrote:
>Any other `old` bands out there ? Just curious !

With a foundation date of 1892 I guess the Bristol East Band qualifies as
well established if not amongst the oldest bands.  Certainly we are the
oldest in the Bristol area to the best of my knowledge.

Until recent times the Band was 'run' by one family.  When the Band was
democratised, the Hon Sec took all our records with him claiming them as his
personal property.  In the interest of peace we have not pursued the matter
any further, but it is sad to have all this heritage behind us but have no
written or photographic record.

Has any other band had this problem?  Do you feel the historical records,
photographs, etc, belong to the founding family or to the Band itself?

Comments and helpful suggestions welcome.

Colin Amos
Chairman/Solo Horn, Bristol East Band