RE: Any `old` Bands out there ?

Colin Amos writes:
>Until recent times the Band was 'run' by one family.  When the Band was
>democratised, the Hon Sec took all our records with him claiming them
as his
>personal property.  In the interest of peace we have not pursued the
matter
>any further, but it is sad to have all this heritage behind us but have
no
>written or photographic record.

>Has any other band had this problem?  Do you feel the historical
records,
>photographs, etc, belong to the founding family or to the Band itself?

Off on a slight tangent but we had an interesting situation several
years ago when
the committee decided not to renew the services of the MD who promptly
went
to the bandroom,  took the hinges off the library door and removed any
piece of
music which he had arranged or altered in any way (plus other music that
we did
not believe he had any right to remove).  I believe the situation was
partially resolved
but it took a very long time.

On another tangent, we had, until a few years ago, a cornet player named
Stan Prior
who played in our band until the age of 100 and actually played in a
concert at that age.
He died at 102.  He was in the Guiness book of Records as the world's
most durable
bandsman.  We even won a B grade national championship with him on 2nd
cornet
(and very adequately) when he was 96. Does anyone know of other
bandspersons (note
the strictly non-sexist attitude here) who managed to last that sort of
distance?

Roy Taylor.
Dandenong Band, Melbourne, Australia.