Re: European Championship

Jeremy Wise wrote:

A few decisions which I found mystifying;
1. Asking the composer of the test piece to adjudicate but not his own
piece - the afternoon session instead. . He is not the kind of guy
who is going to dictate to anybody about how it should be - he would have
offered a sensible balanced view.

Hi Jeremy:

You probably know this, but something else that I felt was kind of bizarre -
Kevin Norbury wasn't allowed to listen to his own composition!  Kevin
adjudicated the choice items, and because of this, the organizers felt that
he shouldn't have the chance to hear any of the bands in advance (along with
the other 2 choice item adjudicators) so that he wouldn't risk being biased
by hearing the bands before he judged them.  I can understand this
reasoning, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to just let him judge
his own work.  Instead, he enjoyed a nice walk in the park with Goff
Richards!

I was wondering if your views on "Odyssey" had changed at all after having
prepared it.  One conductor indicated that he had underestimated the piece
and actually found that this turned out to be one of the more difficult test
pieces that he had to prepare - and he actually wound up doing rather well!

Tom S.
NYSB