RE: Women in Brass Bands

Guy Clark wrote:

> To say that excluding women from a band on the basis of their gender isn't
> sexist is ludicrous!!  Exclusion on the basis of gender is sexist by
> definition!
>
> To try to state that such exclusion is acceptable is reprehensible.  How
> would you like it if you belonged to the group being excluded.  What if your
> job forced you to move to the USA and we had some stupid rule against
> allowing Brits in our bands?  Wouldn't that make you feel angry?
>
> Who else would you like to exclude?  Jews?  People of African extraction?
> Irish?  Scots?  People whose noses are bigger than yours?  Where do you draw
> the line?  This sort of discrimination is one of the first steps on the
> slippery path that Nazi Germany took, or that of  Slobodan Milosevic in
> Yugoslavia!
> In America, we make a strong effort to be INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE
> and generally judge people on their abilities.  My band, the Illinois Brass
> Band, would be a much poorer organization without the talents and abilities
> of our female members.  Our first two solo cornets and principal
> percussionist (to name a few) are women, and amongst the best brass banders
> on this continent.  I am proud to be a member of such an organization.
> I suggest that you rethink your attitudes toward your fellow brass banders
> and humans.
> Guy Clark
> solo cornet, Illinois Brass Band

You seem to have hit the nail on the head, Guy, and I agree with
every word.  I normally try not to send 'me too' messages, but I do
want to send a message which contradicts the impression which may be
being created through this discussion that British bands in general
harbour sexist attitudes.  In my experience this is emphatically
not the case.  In the band that I conduct we currently have 12 female
players, and that is not unrepresentative.  The half dozen bands who
do maintain that policy are out on a limb, and it's only a matter of
time...

One of the positive benefits of our National Lottery programme is
that is has made all bands who apply for funding reassess their
accesibility.  We had to build disabled access and facilities, and
change the wording of our constitition in order to qualify for
funding, but it certainly made us aware of how accessible we can
still become.

David