RE: Women in Brass Bands

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Rod wrote:
> Guy said:
> In America, we make a strong effort to be INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE
> and generally judge people on their abilities.
>
> Everybody can join everything, no single sex, single ethnic origin, single
> State, organisations. Are you sure? How many women in the local Pro
> baseball team, basketball team, football team? How many men in the
> cheerleaders for the above teams, you know, the ones with the Pom Poms? Can
> you not see how ridiculous your argument is when taken to its conclusion.

But you have not taken the argument to it's conclusion-you have assumed
the false premise that women and men are equal in physical prowess. By
your choice of examples you could argue that Basketball teams discriminate
against the short, or that American football teams discriminate against
the lightly built, regardless of sex. I did see a group of male
cheerleaders on telly the other day though:) (National Lottery live, I
think-a truly gruesome sight)

Dave Taylor
University of Warwick band
Rolls-Royce (Coventry) band