Re: Women in brass bands

I've been watching this debate with interest, so here's my 10c worth....

Paul Warder wrote:

> Where the issue of women in bands can cause problems is regarding the social
> aspects of banding.  All-male bands have a camaraderie and team spirit that
> cant possibly exist in a mixed band. Swearing, drinking, acting the goat on
> the bus and in the bar are usually frowned upon by your more caring,
> sensitive and sensible female band member! Although I must stress that I
> know of several banding women who take no prisoners in this regard!

I find the above statement a complete generalisation, especially the words you
use "can't possibly exist".  At Dandenong, we've only ever had an average of
about 4-5 women in our band but never has any one of us been offended by our
male colleagues and their "antics" - if they get up to such antics anyway.  Our
band has an excellent team spirit, as evidenced by our recent contest efforts.
We all get on well with each other socially at band and at other functions away
from banding.

> (i) Women in bands do distract male members (!) from the job of playing, and
> vice-versa. I know of several examples where bands have lost players over
> whos knocking who off (to use a polite euphemism!).

How can this be so?  If you can't concentrate on playing your instrument because
of a female in a band how do you get on at work with your female colleagues?
Walking down the street?  In the bank?............  How come females can
concentrate quite well in the band with other males around them?

> (iii) Women get pregnant and leave you with an empty chair for several
> months or more often than not (and quite understandably) dont come back at
> all.

Well I can really speak from experience here.  I am currently 7 months pregnant
and have no intention of leaving my band after the baby is born.  Every other
female in Dandenong band who has had a baby has come straight back.  Pregnancy
is not a medical condition and pregnant women should not be discriminated
against either!  I recently played in the Aussie Nationals at 6 months pregnant
(percussion) and it wasn't going to stop me (ok I couldn't march but we had more
than enough people to cover that).

I think the main point is that we are all HUMAN BEINGS, not two separate lots of
people.  Being in a brass band shouldn't exclude anyone on the basis of gender,
race, religion or sexual preferance.  We are there to make music and it
shouldn't matter who or what is making that music.  I have also asked my husband
(principal cornet) if there is any physical reason that a woman can't play a
brass instrument as well as a man and he can't think of one.  I've been in my
brass band for 15 years now and it's been 15 years well worth it.

BYE!
Vicki
City of Greater Dandenong Inc.