Re: RE; KEVIN CROCKFORD ON WOMEN, DYKE, RUMOURS ETC.

Well done Kevin for putting your views forward.

I have only subscribed to this list for a very short period but it appears a
lot of people have some very interesting things to say, but a lot is
hear-say or rumours.

Thank you for your personal point of view.

I would like to make a comment about the money that is now involved with
many brass bands.  This 'hobby of ours' is a hobby to most, however whenever
money becomes involved there is always some people who become interested in
that money, rather than the initial aim, ie to make the best music we can.

Sponsers give their money to get publicity, most of the best conductors
around conduct because it is their job, for which they want the most money
they can, and the best players play with bands who are willing to play their
'expenses'.

Money makes the world go around, or so they say.  If a band can obtain
sufficient money they can build a band which is able to compete at the
highest level.   They are very few of the top bands who are not sponsered.

Sponsership and the lottery has put a lot of money into our 'hobby' over the
last decade, but where has it gone ?   To conductors and for players
expenses I would assume.

I agree Kevin, our hobby should stay a hobby.  How many hobbies do you get
paid to participate in ?  not many !

Good luck to those bands who attract sponsorship and lottery grants, but
lets not forget about the main reason for us being in this 'hobby'... to
make music.

A small comment on females in bands - it is always sad when a tradition is
broken, as Dyke seem to have done by signing a female player, put nothing
stays the same for ever.  If a female is good enough they should be no
argument about them playing.  Indeed if they can improve the standard of
your band, they should be no arguments.

Discrimination of any kind should not be accepted within the brass band
world, or in any other part of society.

Good luck with your new band Kevin.

Mark Pearson
British Steel Teesside Band