Re: European Championship

Tom wrote:
>Hi Jeremy:
>
>You probably know this, but something else that I felt was kind of
bizarre -
>Kevin Norbury wasn't allowed to listen to his own composition!  Kevin
>adjudicated the choice items, and because of this, the organizers felt that
>he shouldn't have the chance to hear any of the bands in advance (along
with
>the other 2 choice item adjudicators) so that he wouldn't risk being biased
>by hearing the bands before he judged them.  I can understand this
>reasoning, but wouldn't it have made much more sense to just let him judge
>his own work.  Instead, he enjoyed a nice walk in the park with Goff
>Richards!

I gather he was very upset not to hear his own piece played - nor was he
introduced to the audience after for due acknowledgement. Apparently he
didn't know that he was not to judge it.

>I was wondering if your views on "Odyssey" had changed at all after having
>prepared it.  One conductor indicated that he had underestimated the piece
>and actually found that this turned out to be one of the more difficult
test
>pieces that he had to prepare - and he actually wound up doing rather well!

Not really - I quite like the piece but think the middle slow section needs
extending. There are no major technical difficulties but a few nasty
intervals here and there. We played the piece reasonably but a few nerves
caused us to split a few notes here and there which always costs in a
contest at this level.

Regards

Jeremy