Re: Women in Brass Bands

Carol Wills wrote:

>I would like to reply however to Paul Warder's email, and to a number of
>points he presents.
>
>>(i) Women in bands do distract male members (!) from the job of playing,
>>and vice-versa. I know of several examples where bands have lost players
>>over whos knocking who off (to use a polite euphemism!).
>
>So does that mean the woman has to actually be a player in the band to
>cause this type of trouble?

Yes.

>Surely a non-playing girlfriend or promiscuous wife or purely a female band
>supporter could cause the same type of trouble amongst the male players???

Agreed, but they dont sit in at rehearsals.  What people do outside the
bandroom is their own business.   If two men fancy the same woman in your
band (or vice-versa), You've got problems.  This is not an issue in an
all-male band - with the proviso that none of your players are gay!  If a
man and his wife (or girlfriend) have had a massive row before coming to
band - You've got problems. This is not an issue in an all-male band.

>And Paul, you speak of all-male bands having
>a "camaraderie and team spirit".  Well basically I'd have to say that if
>this happened in a band, and the fellows were doing this behind their so
>called mate's backs, there must be no camaraderie in that band in the first
>place.

Agreed. A player could be knocking another players wife or girlfriend off
even in an all-male band, but then so could the milkman! Generally the
temptation is greater when its placed under your nose.

>>(ii) Bands with couples or families mean that when you lose 1 player you
>>lose 2, 3 or more players automatically.
>
>Yes that's true, but now what are you saying?  That even fathers and sons
>or brothers aren't allowed to be in the same all-male band?

Ideally yes. To play music as well as possible the only emotions that are
required in the rehearsal room are those generated by the music.

>And anyway if people are happy and productive in a band you won't lose
>them. If there is a case that a band is losing players (male and female),
perhaps
>that band better look to itself, it's committee, it's organisation, and
find out what
>the problem is in the first place and rectify it to retain their players.

In the 3 or 4 all-male bands that we are talking about its much more likely
that a player will be sacked than lost!

>>(iii) Women get pregnant and leave you with an empty chair for several
>>months or more often than not (and quite understandably) dont come back at
>>all.
>
>True!  But then again the same happens in the work place and I don't see
>any bans on women there.

Thats another thread!

>Surely a woman can be a productive member of the team
>for as long as the team has her, the same as a man can be.

Yes she can. I've already stated that there are some brilliant female
players around.

> [A man] ..could leave you with an empty chair for months with a medical
>condition that he's suddenly been struck down with.

I would say that there was less chance of it happening, and that the player
would be more likely to return to the band. I know of several women who
manage to play in a band whilst bringing kids up, but none that I know of
play for the 'so called' big bands. The demands on your time (and energy)
are simply too great.

>Interestingly a comment I received privately from a list member about an
>ex-band he played with went further with the discrimination.  That
>particular band had 3 golden rules for admission - no women, only white
>people were allowed, and no gays.   I find this absolutely appalling.  And
>where will it stop?

Why are there so few good black players in UK banding? Is it simply
demography, or is there an element of racism in banding? I've never
seen any.  And another thing - How come all the brilliant black players
in America always seem to pick trumpet (Marsalis, Davis,
Armstrong, Gillespie etc..)?!!!!

>I would find it equally as disturbing mind you if there were an all-female
>band also.  I remember years and years ago, and some of the Aussie list
>members may remember it too, that at the State Solos in Victoria there was
>an "Open Lady's Section", the reason behind this is a loss to me.

As mentioned in other postings they exist / existed over here: Trinity
Girls, Ivy Benson etc..

>Monkey and I have kissed and made up (in a manner of speaking!!!)
>and we will agree to disagree.

Dont go kissing Monkeys - You never know what you might catch!!!

>I honestly did not know until I came on this list that there were bands in
>the world that had actual "rules" that they were all-male.  And even
>throughout my researching I've still yet to confirm that there are such
>bands in Australia still in existence.

They dont have "rules" to be all-male - It just makes sense. Anyway if the
Castlemaine XXXX ads over here are anything to go by sexism is alive and
well over in Oz. God bless the Shielas!!!!!!

>Thanks all for a spirited debate.

Yes its been interesting to say the least! I suppose the list will now
revert to 'who arranged what?' and 'how good is the Shilke sop mouthpiece?
And I'll go back under my lurking stone - I can almost hear the cheering in
the distance!

Regards,

Paul Warder (non-PC bandsman and future lurker!)