Top bands, women, and why it matters

To misquote someone from a couple of days ago, if a bunch of
not-very-good players got together to form an all-male band no-one
would care, and I'm inclined to agree. But the reason it matters
when a top band excludes women purely on the grounds of them not
being men is because it IS a top band - that represents the brass
band movement to the outside world, sets the standard for the rest
of us, that we might aspire to in our wildest dreams. They're
supposed to be the best.

Suppose a couple of juniors, keen, competitive, talented, tell me
that when they're old enough they want to play with <top band>.
Do I have to turn to one of them and tell her that it's out of the
question, not because she won't have the ability, but because she's
a girl? At the moment, I do.

If it's any old 5 bands out of 500 it wouldn't matter. If it's 5 of
the very best bands out of 500, it does.

Gillian