Re: Women in brass bands

Well Its my turn!!

How do you think I feel. I live in Brighouse and their is a famous band
down the round fro me (wonder which band that is?) where they are all men.
It has been a life long ambition for me to play in that band. But I would
not like to be the first to break the ice.

It is not the fault of the women....men can't handle it. Suddenly from
being all boys together...they would now be faced with a "split arse"!! I
would not have a problem and could soon shut them up. But how would they
feel, should they behave differently? (this is not directed at B&R). Plus
how would their wives feel. After all is their still a rule of no women on
the band bus in these bands. Wives etc must travel on the supporters coach
or make their own way their.

I think the problem is with the men!!! They just can't handle women joining
in their male bonding games that go on on the bus etc. (Come on lets have
your argument chaps!!)

However bands that are used to having women in have no probs, take Fodens,
YBS, Marple etc. They just get along together. In My band at BT we all get
along well together now, but when I joined there were no other females, not
for any reason just the way it happened. Now we have 5 (hurrah!). But at
first they asked if they could watch Chubby Brown etc. Once they realised
that I wasn't going to complain if they swore or told dirty jokes things
settled down, now there are no problems. In fact I think they were shocked
at my attitiude. (When you have done several YABB trips and had to get
changed in the B&R dressing room then you can put up with anything!!!)

Well thats my fillings on the subject.

At least there is one band not too far away that now accepts women, as for
B&R, Fairey's, Grimey...well I can dream!

Sam Harrison
A very welcomed female @ BT band!!!!