Re: Women in brass bands

Hi,

I'll just add my pennies worth

Paul Warder wrote

>Maybe lung capacity goes against (most!) women when it comes to the larger
band
>instruments, but thats another thread!

I might not be the best BBb bass player going but I don't think 'cos I'm a
women causes me any problems.

>All-male bands have a camaraderie and team spirit that
>cant possibly exist in a mixed band

Why not?  I think the team spirit and camaraderie in my current band is the
best I've every known.  We have about 34 members of which about 11 are
women.

>Women get pregnant and leave you with an empty chair for several
>months or more often than not (and quite understandably) dont come back at
>all.

I didn't miss much (only 1 contest 'cos the baby was due on that day) and
was back on my seat as soon as I could sit without pain!!!!!  I now have a
daughter who loves brass bands but thinks all the instruments are tubas.

One question I would like to pose is this - One reason given for not having
females in a band is 'cos the wives won't like it.  Has any husband
complained about, or objected to, his wife joining a band (which is more
than likely male dominated)?

That's me done

Carole Spry
Marconi Brass Band (formally GEC Marconi Avionics Brass Band)