Re: RE; KEVIN CROCKFORD ON WOMEN, DYKE, RUMOURS ETC.

KEVIN CROCKFORD wrote:

> To all on the Brass Band list,
>
> Firstly, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Kevin Crockford, some of
> you will know me, probably some won't.

Hi Kevin,

really pleased you've joined the list.
As you mentioned my name, I felt a bit obliged to react although I don't really
like to dig up the past.
But, it could be interesting to let us all know how you feel about our
considerations regarding balance (especially sops) and how you evolved during
those many years with Leyland, Desford, Dyke and probably some other band(s).
And certainly which influence conductors had, especially Jim?

I must admit, if I listen to the different recordings I have from bands where
you are playing, there is a remarkable difference in your playing the last
couple of years. All we ask ourselves is "Why?".

Be sure of one thing: it's never a personal matter and we are convinced players
like you with a long service have proven themselves indeed. But leading players,
certainly when in a band like Dyke, are watched/listened and by that regrettably
also commented. Surely because the are regarded as the examples to follow.

I am really pleased we have a chance now to get a possible answer. Many of us
are curious.

Kevin wrote:

> ...With regards to myself and Ladies in bands, I have to be honest, when a
> Lady

> was first introduced as a full time member of Black Dyke, I was disappointed

> and a tadge upset that 162 years of tradition had ended.

Well Kevin, I am sure really a lot of people are upset too the Dyke tradition of
how to play brassband has been broken. Listen to the former recordings of the
Parkes era. It is so different. Not to mention their names I spoke to quite some
former players from Dyke of that period.To use their words: they all feel sad
the band has been musically destroyed . They feel they suffered so much through
all those years, and before them other people, and see it all thrown away
because of the orchestral way of playing instead of the more traditional style.

One must agree: listen to eg Kings of Brass or Black Dyke in Digital (Judges of
the secret court,...) and compare with the latest CDs. You would never believe
it's the same band (well it isn't of course because of the players/conductor
changed, but still...)
Which era do you prefer?

> As for the connections with the lottery application, well now, ' that's VERY
> interesting '.

This list is about interesting news indeed, so tell us more. By the way, some
are very curious what will happen to the ladies once the lottery application is
over.

> Thank-you for taking the time to read this ...

It was a pleasure.
Really positively looking forward to hear you with Fairey.

Regards,
Edy