re: Women

I know that you must be sick of the women thread by now but I'd like to add
my bit.  I am a female non-playing list member - and so is my husband (now)
(well he's not female!!).

When I first read this thread I was so annoyed, but now I totally agree it
is not always easy for women to be in bands, and I can understand fully why
particular bands/individuals do not wish to have women in their band.

This may be slightly off at a tangent but anyway ........
.......I served for 4 years in the army, and females have a difficult time,
but mainly because they make a difficult time for themselves.  If you're
prepared to put in the effort, do as much (if not more) than the blokes then
you will do fine, but the trouble is that the majority of the females would
not.  They would use the fact that they were female to try and get out of
doing things with excuses such as "time of the month". It doesn't matter
what people say there are females that will take advantage - I'm sure you
all know a few in your bands or other bands.  Also if the sergeant (or
whoever) happened to find you attractive then they are less likely to be
shouted out/corrected etc. - does this not apply at a band too (in fact it
applies in life in general - but lets not go into the life thing)?

Flirting and fraternising.  Boyfriends/girlfriends.  - these all cause rifts
in the band and if women were not playing in the band then this would be a
problems.

Women do have babies - I have had 2.  I would have loved to join the band
with my husband (in fact I would have loved to stay in the army), but it is
not easy, and for those who do go back to play I'm sure it isn't easy.
Children get ill - one person will have to tend to them.  Baby-sitters let
you down.  Raising children is time consuming and tiring - and I know we are
living in the 90's but "typically" the mother will stay at home

A band such as Black Dyke need to be 100% sure that they have a reliable,
committed player  with plenty of time - I know that there are many women out
there who fit this, but there are probably many more that don't (and yes
there are many men that don't), but if they open the doors to women then
they may be at risk of not having the same standards as they could not turn
away a women simply because she had children etc. - well this is the way I
see it anyway.

I guess what I am trying to say from all this is that some females do let
themselves down, and it is up to them to prove that they are worth having at
Black Dyke.  Maybe in the future Black Dyke (and other bands) will accept
women - maybe they won't, but they don't now so just get on with playing
where and who you play with, and consider yourself lucky that you do have
the time to play at all.

I hope you can make sense of this letter and get my point (I've confused
myself now!)

Enjoy your banding while you can.
Kim Papworth - one time percussionist!!!!LOL