RE: Women in brass bands

Sam Harrison wrote:

> How do you think I feel. I live in Brighouse and their is a famous band
> down the round fro me (wonder which band that is?) where they are all men.
> It has been a life long ambition for me to play in that band. But I would
> not like to be the first to break the ice.

Very wise!!

> It is not the fault of the women....men can't handle it. Suddenly from
> being all boys together...they would now be faced with a "split arse"!! I
> would not have a problem and could soon shut them up. But how would they
> feel, should they behave differently? (this is not directed at B&R). Plus
> how would their wives feel. After all is their still a rule of no women on
> the band bus in these bands. Wives etc must travel on the supporters coach
> or make their own way their.

This is generally the case for normal concerts, but we do sometimes let them
on for certain concerts or contests.  This is not discriminating against
women though, as we don't let men on either, its only the players plus
officials of the band who are allowed on the bus.

Also, B&R do not have an official rule saying that no women are allowed, its
just that we haven't found a women good enough to play with us, we can
always fill seats with men.

> I think the problem is with the men!!! They just can't handle
> women joining
> in their male bonding games that go on on the bus etc. (Come on lets have
> your argument chaps!!)

B&R is the only band I have played in that has no women, and in my opinion
is much better than being in a mixed band.  I've seen all sorts of things
happen over the years because of the things that go on when they mix, one of
the most common is female players having affairs with the conductors
(certain conductors do it with every band they conduct - not mentioning any
names!!).  Whatever is going on, it usually ends up with bad feeling in the
band and someone leaving.

> However bands that are used to having women in have no probs, take Fodens,
> YBS, Marple etc. They just get along together. In My band at BT we all get
> along well together now, but when I joined there were no other
> females, not
> for any reason just the way it happened. Now we have 5 (hurrah!). But at
> first they asked if they could watch Chubby Brown etc. Once they realised
> that I wasn't going to complain if they swore or told dirty jokes things
> settled down, now there are no problems. In fact I think they were shocked
> at my attitiude. (When you have done several YABB trips and had to get
> changed in the B&R dressing room then you can put up with anything!!!)

I know what you mean about the YABB trips.  Also, the reason you were in the
B&R dressing room was because it was a massed band concert with Leyland and
you helped them out.  I don't remember you getting changed in the dressing
room, you must have done what most women do and get changed in the toilets
(unfortunately!) and then come back in.  I do remember though you wearing
incredibly tight black trousers and bending over pretending to look in your
case, obviously teasing us.  And we all thoroughly enjoyed it, thankyou!!

> Well thats my fillings on the subject.
>
> At least there is one band not too far away that now accepts women, as for
> B&R, Fairey's, Grimey...well I can dream!

Yes you can!

> Sam Harrison
> A very welcomed female @ BT band!!!!

Martin.