Re: Australian Nationals

I agree.  Taped comments also free the adjudicator to concentrate on the music
being performed instead of worrying if his writer got his comments.  They are
much more informative for the competing bands too.

You are right.   All the odd changes to the nationals this year are the decision
of the South Australian orgainsing committee.  The NBC tried to persuade them
not to do some of the things they proposed (unsuccessfully).

For example, putting the solos on the Thursday before Easter was very unpopular.
This is a normal working day for most.  It meant I had to leave on Wednesday
straight after work, take Thursday off, rehearse with the accompanist on
Wednesday night, play Thursday night, then rush (as soon as I had finished) over
to my band's rehearsal.  (We were on first thing Friday morning).  Many would
not have (and did) not make it to the all-important Thursday night rehearsal.
Crazy.  I know the NBC tried to talk SA out of Thursday solos.  We have the
whole of Easter to run the nationals.  Why run part of it on a normal working
day?

Then there was the idea of putting the 'A' grade on Friday morning, in our case
playing our first contest note at 8.30am.  We had to be there at 7.30am for a
sound check for the benefit of the ABC which was recording it.  Again, this is
crazy.  First because no-one was in the hall.  (This is supposed to be the
premier event and no-one was there).  Second, it was unfair to us.  I spoke to
David King afterward about it.  He said we sounded like we just got out of bed.
He was right.  No-one can play their best at that hour of the day.  Once again,
the bands spend large sums of money to get their bands to the nationals.  The
least the orgainsing committees can do is give them a fair chance chance to play
at their best.
Glenn McGowan
Principal cornet
Kew Band