Re: Australian Nationals

Glen,
While I can understand your frustration at this time slot,
now you know what the lower grade bands cop much of the time.

One year (1996) at Tanunda my band had to lead off the Street march at 9.00am,
the same time as we were supposed to be signing on to play Hymn and Test
on stage at 9.30am. They were late starting the march, so by the time we had
completed the march, we had about 15 minutes left to catch our breath,
walk back to the hall, put away march paraphernalia, sign on and get on
stage.
No warm-up room ever at that hall, no opportunity to check tuning after the
march,
just straight on stage.
We had no audience in the hall apart from our couple of supporters,
as the street march continued outside right through our session on stage.

They would never ever ask a higher grade band to do this,
but apparently it is OK for a D grade - who in reality have a harder time
coping
as their skills are not as honed, and put just as much time and effort into
preparing their music.

It was refreshing to see the D and C grades given the better time slots for
once
at the Nationals.

Regards,   Gillian

>Then there was the idea of putting the 'A' grade on Friday morning, in our
case
>playing our first contest note at 8.30am.  We had to be there at 7.30am for a
>sound check for the benefit of the ABC which was recording it.  Again,
this is
>crazy.  First because no-one was in the hall.  (This is supposed to be the
>premier event and no-one was there).  Second, it was unfair to us.  I
spoke to
>David King afterward about it.  He said we sounded like we just got out of
bed.
>He was right.  No-one can play their best at that hour of the day.  Once
again,
>the bands spend large sums of money to get their bands to the nationals.  The
>least the orgainsing committees can do is give them a fair chance chance
to play
>at their best.
>Glenn McGowan
>Principal cornet