2nd section finals test

Hi listers,

I'm having trouble believing that 'Three Figures' has been selected as the
2nd section Nationals test.

WOW!!!!!! - good luck to all concerned!

This has to be one of the most difficult test pieces ever written (for ANY
grade). It was a British Open test in the early Eighties - very few bands
made any sense of it on that occasion.

When it was commissioned (for the National finals some twenty years earlier
than that) I remember being told that some of the older conductors *really*
struggled with it - so did the vast majority of bands.

Have we really come so far in terms of musicality and technique that this
music is now rated 2nd section??? - I think I'm missing something here
- I would have been totally gobsmacked if it had been selected for the 1st
section never mind 2nd!

Just wait 'til this one is detonated in the bandroom!!

Any fellow banders who know this work as well as I do - your opinions please!

What chance 'Benvenuto Cellini' for the third section areas???

Yours in disbelief.

Steve Sykes - Tuba Soloist, Conductor
e-mail:
sykotuba@xxxxxxxxxxxx